Saturday, May 31, 2014
Friday, May 31, 2013
I met Gerald Coggeshall in 1971, at the time of the Village's Centennial Celebration. He was a little gnome of a man, descendant of illustrious ancestors, who had lived in Waterville all his life. I don't know how many years he had been playing the bells, but it was probably something in the neighborhood of fifty, and he did so without music and with never so much as a frown on his face.
The way he told the story of the bells was fun, memorable and only slightly inventive! Stephen Gates (an historian who was also a chime afficianado and could play using a regular hymnal) complained bitterly that it was inaccurate and no way to record history, -------however ---- here it is!
Once upon a time a rich man named Ruben Tower decided to build himself a house across the street and, therefore, away from his parents’ home! And wanting to make sure that everyone knew that this new building was HIS house, he decided to put a tower on the front of it.
He knew, right away, that there should be a large clock in that tower, one that had a bell that would sound the hours, and so he wrote to the Seth Thomas Clock Company and asked them to make him a suitable clock.
“Of course, Mr. Tower. We’ll be glad to design an appropriate clock for your home, with visible faces that may be seen by all around the village. May we take the liberty of suggesting that a Mr. Meneely, of Troy, New York, be engaged to cast just the right bell so that it may be heard across the land when it strikes out each hour?”
Tower thought this was a dandy suggestion, and wrote straight ‘way to Mr. Meneely asking for a perfect bell.
Mr. Meneely not only knew his metels, he knew his money as well, and said to Mr. Tower,
“Why, sir - with such a magnificent clockworks one really should have four bells so that a tuneful chime such as that heard at Westminster Cathedral in London may likewise signify each quarter-hour in Waterville.”
Mr. Tower thought it anther marvelous idea and so, bit by bit, the tower rose; the clock faces appeared* and - finally - four enormous bells were lifted to the topmost canopy of the tower. His dream was complete!
Only to one such as Mr. Meneely would it occur that there was still a potential profit to be seen:
“It has occurred to me, Mr. Tower, that you now have four bells and that number is, of course, just one half of a full scale of notes! It would be so easy for us to cast the remaining bells - don’t you see? - and then entire tunes could be played and enjoyed throughout the community.”
Another chord was struck -- Mr. Tower agreed with the proposal (which actually included 5 more bells) and so we have it that in mid-July, 1889, the day after Mr. Meneely left, Miss Flora Garvey came by train from Utica and played the “chime” for the very first time.
*The Seth Thomas clockworks were actually installed a few weeks after the chimes were complete.
We don't worry about exactly where the hammer will hit .....
"G" bell, 1,589 lbs.
"A" bell, 1,025 lbs.
"B-flat" bell, 814 lbs.
"C" bell, 517 lbs.
"D" bell, 410 lbs.
"E-flat" bell, 370 lbs.
"E" bell and "F" bell each weigh 287 lbs.
Total weight of the bells alone: 7,400 lbs.
Being cast of 78 parts of Lake Superior copper and Malay Straits tin, they are genuine cast bronze bells. Meneelys made the finest bells obtainable. The original cost was in the neighborhood of $2,800.
The "Hanks" bell (Masonic Memorial) weighs 800 lbs. It is dated 1824. Andrew Meneely was apprenticed to Julius Hanks* and started his own foundry in 1826.
* An interesting bit of speculation makes Julius Hanks' daughter, Nancy, the bride of Thomas Lincoln and the mother of Abraham.
(The "Hanks Bell" is often referred to as the "Baptist Bell", having - presumably - once hung in the present Baptist Church.
Sunday, September 9, 2012
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Copied from The Clinton Courier Jan. 18, 1978
By H. Paul Draheim
34th in a Series-
THE OLD STONE CHURCH
"The church tower reaches skyward
Four square to the winds that blow,
With sturdy independence
And, a Holy Place below."
These lines by Fraser Mann, appropriately describe the stately spire of the Old Stone Church in Oriskany Falls, erected in 1834 by the Congregational Society.
The Old Stone Church has had a very large and influential place in the life of Oriskany Falls during the 144 years. The tall, sky-pointing church steeple has inspired and uplifted the souls of hundreds who were home folk in the community.
It stands as a witness faithful. It speaks no words, but its silent but daily suggestion that causes all folks, young and old, to look upward, has a tremendous power.
Through the assistance of Mrs. Hazel Farquhar, church
clerk, the records were examined some years ago by this writer. These records tell the story of the old church.
Samuel Ferguson, whose home was the farm later owned by Guy Morrow, was one of the first members of the Old Stone Church. He was one of the men who assisted in drawing the stone for its erection.
Prior to the organization of the society in Oriskany Falls, Ferguson and his daughters Mrs. Eliza Osborne and Mrs. Abigail Carter, attended the church in Sangerfield Center.
For a number of years Ferguson served as chorister. His younger daughter, Mrs. Carter, was one of the early members and retained that membership until her death in 1903. Her children, Mrs. Elizabeth Kimberley and Chauncey Carter were trained early in the Sunday School, and among their teachers were Mrs. Sheldon Barker and Mrs. Amos Allen.
The church society was founded on January 31,1833—145 years ago. Almost immediately the small congregation made plans for the erection of an edifice that would stand for many years. Fashioned from stone taken from nearby quarries in an era when most of the work was done by hand, the church is one of the oldest and best preserved in Central New York. It is only nine miles from Clinton. Although the construction work was started in 1833 and the edifice was enclosed by 1834, it was not until 1845 that the structure actually was completed. No sand was used in mixing mortar to hold the stone together. Limestone was crushed and mixed with cement and wood ashes. The substance when it hardened proved as strong as the rock itself and through the years the building has stood unharmed by the elements.
Only two changes have been made in the church in its long history. Twenty memorial windows were installed about 75 years ago by descendants of the charter members. At a somewhat later period it became necessary (in 1886) to add a new steeple after a windstorm carried away a part of the original one. Except in these two respects the church was unchanged from 1845 to 1952.
One of the memorial windows was placed in honor of the Barker Family. The records show that at one time this family had 18 members on the rolls and furnished all the music. Thirteen of the
Barker Family were members of the choir and the 14th was organist. The original pews each had a door of its own. These since have been removed.
The memorial windows are to Philo and Sally Snow Holmes, Daniel and Almira King, Daniel W. and Abigail H. Barker, Harold Cross Langley, Ellen Oliver Juhl and Clara Juhl, the Brainard family, Shelton Stoors Barker, Olive Phelps Barker, Asenath Thompson, Larens H. Barker, Stephen R. and Lydia King Howe. Also, Everett E. and Melissa T. Allen; Abigail Ferguson Carter, Noah and Jane Ferguson Wells, Didelia A. Rice, Courtlandt and Abigail J. Barker, James and Phlena Allen, Sidney and Julia Putnam and Amos and
One immediately observes that the names of Daniel and Almira King are placed that you must read them from. the outside of the church, rather than from the inside.
One of the pews, in the back part of the church, carries the words "Del Barker, 1865" which probably was carved by a youngster of that family during one of the long Sunday sermons.. The Barkers, indently, came to Oriskany Falls from Augusta Center.
The church marked its centennial in 1933 when the Rev. William Davies was pastor. Participants of the program included Mrs. Fred Clarke, Mrs. Ethel King, Mrs. A.D. Grannis, the Rev. A.W. Allen, Syracuse; the Rev. E. C. Wattner, Fulton; Mrs. R. K. Miner, Miss Mary Nash, Miss Grace Cunningham and the Rev. E. D. Marriam, Ontario.
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Monday, January 17, 2011
1852 Map of Sangerfield Township
1852 MAP of Waterville
1874 MAP of Marshall Township
Aaron Stafford, Maj. Obituary
"An American Town" Sociological study, Williams 1907
"Back Home in Oneida" Herman Clarke's Civil War Letters 1966
Betrayal of Samson Occom, The, 1998
Brothertown Tribe, The - Will and Rudi Ottery, 1989
Campaigns of the One Hundred and Forty-Sixth Regiment, Genevie Brainard 1915
Candee Block; Fire and History 1982
CEMETERIES in Marshall and Sangerfield Townships (Cemeteries>township>cemetery)
Charles Terry, First in Seattle.
Churches - History of, by Norman Cowen
Civil War Monument
Days of Long Ago, A. O. Osborn, 1886
Forge Hollow Caves, 1937
Golf Club Opening 1901
Historic Triangle District. 1978
History of the Loomis Gang - N.Y. Sun - 1877.
History of Sangerfield, A. O. Osborn, 1886
Hop Industry, The - A. O. Osborn 1886.
Hop Extract Industry, The - M L. Peterson 1973
Kate Loftus Welch - T. Barnes 1996
Loomis Family, Norman Cowen's History of.
Loomis-Osborn Connection, The. PsBrown
Marshall Township, History of - Pomroy Jones, 1851
OBITUARY INDEX from the Waterville Times - R.F. Brown
Opera House History, Norman Cowen
Railroad Comes to Town, The - 1867
Reminscinces of Sangerfield - Abner Livermore 1851
Reuben Tower obituary 1899
Samson Occom and the Christian Indians of New England - Love, 1899
Sanger Lodge - Masonic Temple - 1950
Social Change in a Central NY Rural Community - Anderson - 1954
Tom Kindness, One of the Last of the Mohegans c.1905
Tower Family, The
Tower, Charlemagne I
Tower, Charlemagne Jr.
Town of Sangerfield, History of - Pomroy Jones 1851
Waterville in 1806, A. O. Osborn, 1876
William Cary Sanger, Col. Obituary
Walking Tour of MAIN STREET 1971
Walking Tour of PUTNAM STREET 1971